Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Book Review: Haunted Hideout (The Haunted Ones #1) by Michelle Dorey

Haunted Hideout (The Haunted Ones #1)
by Michelle Dorey 
Published January 14th 2018 by Amazon

Ghostly terror awaits in the so called ‘safe house’.

They didn’t know it was the last day of normal. Liam—husband, father—the rock who anchored them in a comfortable life in sunny Miami had been gunned down by a hit man.

The wounds of losing him are raw when Lydia and her two children are snatched for their own protection. The FBI scoop the family into the Witness Protection Program. Their safety from the drug cartel is assured.

Or is it?

The FBI makes a serious mistake in the relocation plan. The secluded farmhouse in a northern state is anything but a sanctuary. No one questioned why they could buy the house so cheap. No one listened to the local yokel tale of what happened there.

A tale of a dark and tragic history. Ghosts of the past have abided there for years, forcing other families to flee for their lives. At first the entities toy with Lydia and her children, flickering the lights, banging doors, and revealing fleeting glimpses.

When a raging blizzard traps the family there, the haunting escalates. What had been frightening escapades become dangerous threats. Deadly threats. Years before there had been a massacre in this house. It’s time for another.

Will they survive the night?


Reviews:  I chose this book because one of the reviews I read said it took place in Northern New York, which is where I live. I didn't think that it would actually take place 30 mins away from where I live. So I found myself trying to picture the location and if the house might have been based on a real place. Sadly I couldn't think of anything that matched, but it was fun trying.
Lydia and her children are swept away by the FBI when he husband is found out as a snitch for a drug cartel. Her husband is dead and the family is being stalked by the drug cartel. The story is extremely fast paced and I found Lydia taking things at face valve a bit unbelievable. While I felt this was a good bases for the story and characters, I would have like to see things built up more. I felt like this should have been a full length book and not just a short story. It would have played out better with more of a build up than what we got. There was a great foundation, but nothing solid to sink the readers teeth into. 
With that said I did like the story, it was exciting and had it's moments. I just wish there had been more to it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment